Steps to Enrollment
Step 1. Determine Student Eligibility
All children enrolling in kindergarten must be five years old on or before September 1 of the school year in which the child enrolls. For a child enrolling in first grade, the child must be six years old on or before September 1 of the school year in which the child enrolls. A five-year-old child who has completed a private or public out-of-state kindergarten for the required 450 hours, but has not reached the “school age” requirement shall be allowed to enter the first grade.
For resident children with disabilities who qualify for special education and related services under IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act), “school age” begins at the age of three and may continue through the semester in which the student turns 21 years old or receives a regular high school diploma by completing requirements comparable to regular graduation requirements.
Step 2. Verification Requirements
Parents registering their children for the first time in a Boise public school must provide proof of age, identity, District residency and immunizations, unless homeless.
Students who have previously attended school should bring their school records, if available. Students receiving special education services should bring a copy of the current Individualized Education Program (IEP).
Step 3. Find and Contact Your School
- Are you a resident of the Boise School District?
Some Boise City addresses are not in our District. View our Attendance Area Locator if you are not sure, or need to determine which schools your child will attend.
- Boundary maps are available at Transportation & Boundaries.
- If you have any questions regarding a specific address or if your address is close to a boundary, please call Transportation & Boundaries at 208-854-4167.
- School Directory
- School addresses, phone and fax numbers
- Links to interactive maps for location and driving directions
- Links to school web sites
- Students may be enrolled at their neighborhood school Monday through Friday during school hours with a parent/ guardian present.